Hello, its Kimberley here from www.memylifeandthetardi.co.uk. I have been attending cooking classes at the Chequers cookery school and this week we made a curry sauce. This is so much healthier than buying one and can be changed to fit your personal tastes or just to use up whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.
50g red lentils
1 medium onion
2 medium carrots
1 small red pepper
3 cloves of garlic
35 fresh ginger
3 stalks of coriander
1 red chilli (optional)
1 dessert spoon ground coriander
1 dessert spoon ground cumin
1 dessert spoon ground cinnamon
1 dessert spoon paprika
1 dessert spoon turmeric
1 dessert spoon garam masala
¼ tea spoon ground black pepper
400g tinned plum tomatoes
100 ml tinned coconut milk (optional)
1. wash the lentils and place in a pan and cover with cold water. Boil for around 10-12 minutes. The lentils should become tender and loose their colour.
2. finely chop the vegetables. This is where you can add any other vegetables which you have in your fridge.
3. placed all the chopped vegetables, garlic ginger and coriander stalks in a blender and blend. You can blend only a little if you want a chunkier sauce or blend more for a smoother sauce.
4. heat the oil in a pan on a low heat and add the spices and heat fry for a couple of minutes. Make sure you fry the spices gently or the spices will turn bitter.
5. then add the blended mix and fry for 5-10 minutes.
6. Add the water and the tinned tomatoes and cook.
7. Add the coconut milk if you require the sauce to be milder.
This curry sauce will keep for around 10 days in the fridge and can be frozen.
You can add any vegetables into the sauce anything that you have in the fridge that needs to be used up can be thrown in. If you blend well, you can't identify the vegetables and you can add vegetables that your children don't like and they will never know!!
You can use whole spices instead of ground spices but fry them individually then ground them.
My curry sauce turned out perfectly and was really nice. I do like a bit of kick to my curry and so added only a little of the coconut milk but you can add a lot more. You can also add more chilli to make it spicier.
Hope you enjoy making your sauce as it is so much healthier than buying a sauce and I would argue it is tastier as well.